The road of my life hasn't been easy, like so many living souls. There have been times when I felt like I didn't belong anywhere. In those moments, I would stop, breathe deep, look up toward heaven, and let my heart speak, so my restless mind could quiet. My heart would whisper to me, reminding me I have always belonged, and most importantly that I am worthy of everything I imagine to be. With my angel wings wrapped around me, I persist forward on my path dedicated to loving kindness. For real strength comes when I allow my wild heart to be free and unwavering in my vision of heaven on earth. With love, I give all of me.
As an educator and coach, I find myself giving copious amount of advice and sharing words of wisdom. On social media, I make a point to intentionally post motivational words, memes, and videos that show the real me. A sage, however, I am not. I am an everyday woman who is earnestly trying to live out her dreams, and live by the guidance of her heart. In my opinion, however, approaching life from the heart, is the most courageous path to follow. It is a righteously, rebellious path, an adventurous path, it is at times a painful path, but it is undoubtedly a beautiful way to live.
Living from our heart does not mean living recklessly or impulsively. It does not mean we let go of logic. It simply means we are tapped in to our essence. When we get grounded in our heart, we are more in-tune with our intuition. Now, for all my heady people out there, I have exercises for you to try-out, so you can get more connected with your heart.
5 Ways to Get In-Touch
With The Voice of Your Heart
1. When able, go for a ten-minute-plus walk. Being outside and walking is a great way to clear the mind and calm the nerves. Try to leave the cell phone behind and completely disconnect. Music can help some people, but for others it stimulates emotions too much. I'll let you decide which way to go with music. When walking, allow yourself to listen to your breath. Get quiet in your walking meditation and really try to listen to your inner voice. As you focus on your breath, your mind gets quiet. With the mind quiet, you can get grounded in your core. When we ground into our core, we are able to create the space needed to hear our true inner knowing. This is one way to tap into our intuition, without having to do seated meditation.
2. Take the decision you are trying to make and list out the pros and cons and let the results help you get insight. How you emotionally respond to the list will provide you with answers. Allow yourself to reflect on those feelings before making a decision. And remember, you don't need to do everything overnight. Rome was not created in a day.
3. Another method for decision making, is by creating a list of 5-10 questions related to what is conflicting you. Once you have your questions (preferably non-negotiable/value type of questions) see how you immediately respond to them with no think time. What is your first reaction? If you are conflicted in a relationship, do the same thing. Make a list of 5-10 non-negotiable/value/lifestyle questions and see how each person responds. The results are very revealing and should help you make your next move.
4. Do some out loud self-talk. Talk to yourself as you would talk to a friend who is conflicted or needing help with a life decision. See what happens when you give yourself a pep talk with loving kindness. I suggest doing this after a nice walk, and in a time and place where you know you won't have any interruptions.
5. Find 4 images: One image to represent your career dream; one image to represent your love life dream; one image to represent your fun or pleasure dream; and one image to represent your financial dream. You can keep these images separate and pin them in various locations, or make a collage to put in one central location. Visual images are very helpful in manifesting our ideal life, and if you place those images somewhere that you'll see often it will motivate you to stay dedicated to your dreams.
Living from the heart is not always easy because it forces us to be true to ourselves, and for many people that is a scary thing. Many people, especially women, give up their dreams to live "safe," or for another person. Living safe, and for another person, however, isn't living. It's selling out. Compromising your heart's desire means denying everything you are worthy of receiving. If you are conflicted with a life decision, or just needing that extra push to help you move toward your dreams, then try out my methods. Methods or not though, you already know what to do. I know you hear your heart. Listen. Your heart will never guide you wrong. Live life fully. Live from your heart.
I am a new mother who has her hands full! I juggle not just my coaching business, but I am also a full time educator. I also teach yoga in the Bay Area, and I mentor first generation college students.