Healthy Eating Travel Tips
With school letting out and travel plans being made, it's a good time to think about how to keep our healthy eating habits going as we move around the country. Below are 10 sure ways to keep your healthy living lifestyle going this summer.
1. Plan Ahead-make sure you have a cooler packed in your car or airplane approved snack items with you.
2. Know Your Surroundings- There are always grocery stores and super markets off major interstates, so there is never a need for gas station food or fast food. Also, what types of "healthy" restaurant are there along your trip? Places like Chipolte and Panera Bread often offer Mind-Soul Bodybuilding approved meal options.
3. Eat every 2.5-3 hours to avoid binge eating and blood sugar crashes.
4. Carry your greens. High fibrous foods help to keep us fuller. Plus, a huge bowl of veggies with your grains and protein give your eyes and mind the idea that you're eat a huge meal.
5. Charge Up with Green Tea and Black Coffee. Both green tea and coffee boost your mood and metabolism. They both help your liver, too. This summer enjoy these healthy beverages on your road trip.
6. Avoid Alcohol. Not only is not safe to travel after drinking, but alcoholic beverages often lead to consuming over 400 unnecessary calories according to American Journal of Clinical Nutrition. Plus, alcohol is the biggest killer for lean muscle mass growth and the biggest cause of body fat development. Just say, "no," and try sparkling water in a wine glass.
7. Study your airplane menu and options. If you have to fly this summer know what your airline provides. Otherwise, plan ahead with whole grain sandwiches, hard-boiled eggs, bars, fruit, protein powder, veggies, almonds, and other quick travel ready snacks.
8. Avoid Buffets. If you absolutely have to go with your grandmother or favorite uncle to a buffet, then treat it like a salad bar and fill up on greens, fruits, and lean protein.
9. A Reward Meal is still just one meal. Treat yourself once on your trip, but not all day, every day.
10. Drink more water! Often our hunger is thirst when we travel, especially if we travel into hot climates. Drink up and stay radiant! Plus, the extra need to use the restroom will flush out toxins, and give you the option to stretch.
I hope these suggestions provide you the tools you need to be on top of your game. Plus, I hope they provide you with ways to have less stress and more confidence as you keep to your fitness plans this summer. Be well!