An Exercise to Explore Your
This is the first of three exercises to see if your are living in alignment toward your most authentic, true life. I am hoping that after completing each exercise you find inspiration. Whether your results are sub par or reaffirming, you will walk away knowing where you are on your life's road map. There is to be no judgement in how you answer questions. All the information you supply yourself with is simply meant to help you live with more happiness.
I decided to put this exercise together because lately I have not been totally sure if my life is flowing in the direction that is most true to my own heartfelt desires. Sometimes, just like you, I feel like I'm lying to myself. I know that I am learning daily from my actions, choices, and thoughts, but is that enough? Unfortunately, how we respond with each lesson in life does not always have immediate feedback. Our report card in life often does not come out until after we have passed away.
In my recent collage, I stated that I want to create a family in my life and become a mother. Yet, how can I become a mom if I am not married? In my eyes, I need to be married to have a child. For others, that is not necessary, but for me it is a non-negotiable. Do you have non-negotiables? The main focus of my collage is family. If that is true then why do I live so far away from my family? All of these honest reflections made me realize that I should get more myopic in my self-discovery. That is why I took it upon myself to grade my current NOW life. My collage shows what I am striving for, but if I were to die today would my life be remembered as a genuine life?
What I discovered was YES! I found out that even though my life is not perfect, it is in alignment with what I am trying to be remembered for in life. True, I do not have a house, a husband, or children. Yet, I am still in alignment with how I want to be remembered. If I were to die right now, I would leave behind a beautiful legacy because I have overcome so many obstacles: divorce, abuse, adultery, depletion of savings, being fired, and more. It has been my losses that have offered me gifts, too. I do not stand alone in the face of obstacles. We all have overcome so much.
Despite all my hardships, I have chosen to stay in alignment with not giving up on love or myself. I have taken daily actions to be healthy by exercising, playing sports, and eating right. I have taken lots of risks to live with more freedom. For example, I let a house and financial security go to be happier. I escaped abusive relationships. I did these things so I can serve as an example. I have been able to offer love, knowledge, wisdom, and safety to children who have been victims of pain through my work as a school teacher in a disadvantage community.
Today, I am able to freely express my heart openly and without hesitation. I dream big and work hard toward those dreams. I don't have a lot of things, but my life is rich with experiences. If I died today people would see me as a person who fully lived. How would people see you? Try the exercise below and see how your report card turns out.
Complete these 5 steps.
1. What are the five personal values I believe are the most important to my life?
2. When my life has ended, I want to be remembered for these things:
- In my work/job/career
- In my family/relationships
- In my approach to life
3. For each category above, list 3 activities, actions or habits you feel are the most important in relation to being remembered as you hope.
4. Now, list 5 specific hobbies, activities, or habits in life that bring you the most joy.
5. For everything you answered above, give yourself an honest grade based on this rubric.
- You receive an A if you are living in complete alignment and you are PROUD and at PEACE with your actions, decisions, and thoughts.
- You receive a B if you are living in partial alignment and would like to see improvement in your actions, decisions, and thought patterns.
- You receive a C if your are not living in alignment with your personal road map. You find yourself frustrated with your actions, decisions, and thoughts. You might be feeling desperate, but are open to help and guidance.
- You receive a D if you are living completely out of alignment. You feel like you are in a rut and completely stuck. You doubt you can change and recognize it is imperative that you get help if you want to be truly happy and remembered for living pure.
As a reminder, this exercise was meant to be done without judgement. The exercise is meant to provide you with immediate feedback as to how authentic you are living. Hopefully, the exercise provides clear, objective answers so that you can act accordingly in your life. We all want to be happy in life and it is my hope that this exercise provides you with more happiness or guides in the direction toward greater happiness. It is exercises like these that help us to create lasting change for our life and the lives we touch. If you are needing guidance or help in developing a more authentic life please reach out. Together we can create a life full of radical, pure alignment, so that you can be living out your highest self.